Sunday, September 28, 2008

Older, but telling: Michelle Obama and Race

OK, after watching the last video I posted on the Democrats who took MONEY from Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae covering up problems, I scanned down the sidebar on YouTube and this video caught my attention. It's Michelle Obama talking race during the Primary. After you watch this tell me that every single friend you have who's black is feeling this way? I had conversations with some of my black friends back during the Primary who talked about how they couldn't even bring up a negative about Barack Obama without being ostracized by their friends! They couldn't say the word "Hillary" without having their families practically boot them out. What is this woman talking about???? I HATE it that race is still something to be USED. I grew up military, never even thought about the color of someone's skin, it was all about what you could do and your core values. I never heard this kind of poor me crud until I heard it from the blacks who make money by playing the race card. Oh man, am I going to be jumped on by racists on both sides of the so-called divide now... I don't want to hear it. I have too many black friends, good friends, who have climbed above the poor-me, everyone is dumping on my cause of the color of my skin. Michelle Obama is an example of the American Dream and she should be able to rise above playing the race card.

1 comment:

SjP said...

"I HATE it that race is still something to be USED." I could not agree with you more. As an African-American who has often crossed political lines at the polls, I am infuriated at being told that the only reason why I plan to vote for Obama is because he is Black. My vote has always and will continue to be cast for that individual or party that is inclusive of the issues and concerns which impact me as an American citizen.

The unfortunate thing here is that America is not a colorblind society no matter how much we hope, pray, or even insist that it is. It is also unfortunate, that as an African American, I have witnessed the race card being used as a means of continuing exclusionary practices against people of color. As a woman, I have also witnessed the gender card used to do the same. Yet, when such practices are spoken out against, the onus is put on the messenger and typically discounted as playing a card.

What I find interesting, however, in your post is that you indicate the issues your Black friends had with family and friends because of their support of Obama. I can only assume then that most of your Black friends are Democrats. The reason I find it interesting is for two reasons. One of my male colleagues and his wife had to stop talking politics during the primary. He supported Obama while she supported Hillary. Both are White. The second reason relates to another colleague who supports Obama along with her husband and both are Democrats. Their siblings, in-laws, and daughter are all Republicans. They too, have found it necessary to NOT talk about politics. And they are also White. It is obvious that in these two instances that politics and not race is the great divide. Why must be it race rather than politics when African-Americans are faced with or by the very same circumstances? This certainly appears to be an inappropriate double-standard at best.

Finally, I see that you proudly support the McCain/Palin ticket. Isn't it wonderful that we live in a Country where once every four years we have an opportunity to determine our future. But, having said that and based on the premise of your post, I must ask you, why was it necessary for the Republican Party to forge a billboard campaign indicating that Martin Luther King Jr was a Republican? In my mind that was an ultimate play of an unnecessary and quite offensive race card.